I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Friday, April 24, 2009

I Can't Believe I'm Doing This

Anyone who knows me well knows that I HATE, HATE, HATE video games.

Except this one:


See, in my opinion the majority of video games out there are either violent, tasteless, or just melt your brain. Grand Theft Auto anyone? Just mentioning that game makes me see red.

Enter Viva Pinata. Rated E for Everyone, this game actually stimulates the smart part of your brain (vs. the "entertain me while I accomplish nothing" part). Chad downloaded the demo on his Xbox 360 and I am hooked!

Here's the gist of the game: You are responsible for a small plot of land. It has been untended for a long time and you have to clear the trash, prepare the soil, and plant the grass. Once your garden is ready, small animals called pinata (they actually break open into candy when they expire) come to explore your space. If they become residents you are responsible for them. You have to plant the flowers or veggies that they like to eat, provide homes for them to live in, and keep them happy to prevent them from fighting with each other. If they do fight, there is always a loser who gets sick. You have to call the doctor to heal the sick pinata, but it costs money, so you have to be careful to always have enough money on hand for such an emergency. You can make money by "breeding" your pinata (they do a "romance dance"), selling your pinata, or selling the produce grown in your garden.

Caralie and I really enjoy playing this game together. She is learning about responsibility and money management. And it's fun! There are animals like sparrowmints, mousemallows, and bunnycombs. There's even some "evil" pinata like the sour shellybean that try to plant weeds and noxious plants in your garden.

Talk about good, clean fun that actually teaches your child something! This video game is rated 8.5 out of 10 and is now a Greatest Hit, so it only costs $20 new vs. $30-40.

Just make sure you purchase the original Viva Pinata. The spin-off, Viva Pinata: Party Animals, is total junk.

2 comments:

Chad said...

I never thought I'd see the day that you are blogging about video games. Hath hell frozen over?

Now maybe you'll start seeing the value of having the 360 for games, music, and video content.

Kim said...

I have to say I'm not much for video games except that they keep the children occupied and I love it when Darrin plays with his little brothers. We just got the Wii fit a couple of weeks ago and we love it! It gets you up off the couch and the kids think its hilarious to see mom "hula-hooping"!