I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

You Know the Drill

Today was Caralie's second visit to the dentist. She had a small cavity in one of her teeth - it actually came in that way, believe it or not. And of course she was not interested in going. Until I reminded her they had video games. Then she was willing to get in the car.

At the office I warned the ladies that Caralie was here for her first cavity and was very nervous. They were so sweet and nice and promised it would be easy.

Caralie made a beeline for the game room while I sat in the reception area. And what do you suppose was on the TV? Horton Hears a Who! Complete with the giant needle at the dentist scene!

What the heck? I'm so glad Caralie was more interested in video games than watching a movie!

When she was called back she was very nervous and moved very slowly. From her attitude you'd have expected to hear, "Dead man walking!!!" She had brought another 'friend' this time - Lambie, who also plays Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Once she was in the chair and reclined the assistant asked her to wind up Lambie so she could listen. That seemed to calm her down.

After that everything was just peachy. They hooked up some "bubble gum air" to her nose to relax her. The dentist was awesome, explaining that the tooth was invaded by sugar bugs and she needed to clean them out. She gave her some "pretty pink princess gel" on her gums to numb them. Then she was going to squirt some sleepy juice into the tooth to make all the sugar bugs fall asleep so they wouldn't run away. The dentist warned that sometimes the sleepy juice felt like a mosquito bite and if it did to take a deep breath of the bubble gum air.

Once she was numbed, the dentist announced she was going to tickle Caralie's tooth with a special toothbrush. It was a noisy toothbrush! Then she cleaned the tooth with tooth soap and then coated it with tooth glue. She filled in the old sugar bug hole with "good goop" and dried it up.

All of this took only 10-15 minutes. I was amazed. Caralie then had her choice of chocolate or vanilla pudding plus a Capri-Sun. Not only that, but she received another gold token to get a prize out of the Treasure Tower. She decided on a little froggy pencil topper:


I asked the dentist if she took adults because she had me sold. Too bad for me, she only does kids. Next time I go to my dentist I'm gonna ask for some bubble gum air...

I let Caralie eat her pudding in the car on the way to the library. She couldn't eat it very fast because her upper lip was still numb. So she finished it on a bench outside.

At first I was suprised to discover that it wasn't sugar-free pudding - we did get it from a dentist. But I guess it's a way to ensure repeat business...

We discovered at the library that they have a new system for checking out books. You just place the book on a gray square and it somehow "reads" the book and checks it out for you. I do not like it. It's slower than scanning the bar code and two of the books we wanted to check out didn't work. So much for new technology.

Our next stop was the elementary school where Caralie will be attending Kindergarten in the fall. I picked up the registration packet and also received an awesome booklet for Caralie to use over the summer. It has all kinds of stuff to prepare her for school - counting exercises, matching games, etc. I was impressed. My tax dollars at work, I guess.

4 comments:

Dave & Heather said...

Now THAT is a freaking awesome dentist. Just reading it made me want to get a cavity filled. Dr. Knauer was nothing like that. And it only took 15 minutes - whereas for us it goes on for well over an hour. Jealous!

lisakh said...

Same here. Sheesh, that is a REALLY good dentist. You lucked out!!

The Provo City Library has the same system. I actually kind of like it. Takes a little to get used to, but now I don't have to go to the counter and wait for someone to check out my stuff like I did at Cobb (at least, when I was little - I haven't been back for a while). I've only had one book not work so far, and that was because someone had damaged the chip inside.

Wendy said...

That's great that Caralie had such a positive cavity filling experience! Tyler's 1st experience with that was HORRIBLE! It makes me sad just thinking about it. :( One thing is for sure...I WON'T be going back there!
I LOVE the new check-out system libraries have now. It can check out an entire stack at a time! And it's always been super quick for me! I haven't had one not work yet, so maybe that will change my mind.
If I had to pick though...I'd go with the positive dentist experience over a smooth check-out at the library. :)

The Tall Girl Cooks said...

Well before the new checkout system we were still checking books out ourselves. We just scanned the barcode. I swear it went faster...