I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Speed Racer

I can't believe it. My kid can ride a bike!

She got it as a Christmas gift from my in-laws in 2008 and has been very nervous about trying it out. She inherited my timidity. I didn't learn how to ride my bike until second grade and even then it was only because of sheer embarrassment.

On Saturday the weather was nice but a little windy. Chad took her out and got her to ride on her own for about 5 seconds at a time. He has been a fantastic teacher. He's had to put up with a lot of crying and yelling and irrationality. (The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I fear.)

Yesterday he got her up to 20-30 seconds at a time or more. Today I took the camera and got her on film. The video is a little jumpy from me trying to keep up with her.



This is a bittersweet moment for me. Kinda like when she started to walk. It's the dawn of a new era and the end of an old one. I'm so proud of her for fighting through her fears and misgivings and just plugging along (with a lot of help from Daddy). I'm glad I "let" Chad be the one to teach her because he got the job done!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

How great is that?! She's already a pro!
And she totally looks like a mini little Chanelle. Too cute!

The Muries said...

Way to go! She is doing awesome! I will be the one who lets my husband teach the kids too.