I would be happy if ...
to
I am happy because ...
to
I am happy because ...
Lately I've had a lot of things to be unhappy about. And that's okay. We're not expected to be happy that we have a trial, especially when we are in the middle of it. But adversities are simply events in life, not life itself.
He said happiness is not what happens outside of you but what happens inside of you. It is a choice.
I've struggled with this my whole life. Always looking to the future to bring me happiness.
"I'll be happy when I own my own home."
"I'll be happy when I'm financially secure."
"I'll be happy when I can afford to buy those super cute shoes!"
"I'll be happy when I'm financially secure."
"I'll be happy when I can afford to buy those super cute shoes!"
But the foolish man seeks happiness in the distance. A wise man grows it under his feet.
For a couple of years now I've really tried to understand the dynamic of happiness and how to find it NOW. Because right now I don't have all those things I wish for. I'm trying to teach myself that all those things are not what true happiness is comprised of. He said, "Don't mistake telestial pleasure for celestial happiness." They are not the same thing. Not even close.
So I am going to try a little here, a little there, to be happy.
My husband lost his job: oh well, he'll find another one!
Our car is totaled: at least my husband is okay!
I have indoor plumbing and clean water. I don't have to worry about where my child's next meal will come from. I have a comfortable bed to sleep in and a roof over my head. I can see and hear and walk and talk. I have friends and family who love and support me. I have a Savior who knows me and my trials and will see me through each and every one of them.
I have it pretty darn good.
So I'm going to be happy about it.
4 comments:
You also have a contract for the sale of your condo! That is a biggie!!!!
Great points Chanelle! We all need to be reminded of these things...it's so tough sometimes.
Love ya!
I didn't bring up the condo because I'm still afraid I'll jinx it somehow by talking about it! Need to work on faith as well as happiness I guess.
You are awesome. I really think we all need to hear about happiness at times. It puts stuff into perspective.
Post a Comment