I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Just a Little Late

Way back last fall I picked up a charm pack of Birdie fabrics to make Caralie a skirt for ... ahem ... Christmas. That didn't happen.

Then I figured I'd make it for her ... ahem ... birthday in January. That didn't happen.

So, after two failed attempts (third time's the charm) I have finally completed her skirt and even made a matching top to go with it for ... tada! ... Easter:

And really, it only makes sense, since the colors have always reminded me of an Easter basket:

I did my own spin on the pattern, adding a few extra squares to gather the fourth row and attaching a layer of eyelet underneath. I love it. So does Caralie, who caught me making the darn thing and ruined the surprise.

But she hasn't seen the accompanying shirt. I first did a freezer paper stencil of a tree with fabric paint:

Then I used Heat 'n' Bond to "applique" birds and leaves:

The birds are from one of the extra fabrics I purchased. You'll see it in the skirt. The leaves are from a green fabric with pink polka dots that I had on hand.

I'm very happy with how cute it turned out. However ... to continue my life's theme of something always going wrong, I used the wrong kind of Heat 'n' Bond. I was supposed to use the red package that is stronger and creates a more permanent bond. Instead I used the purple package that is meant to be sewn in place for permanence. Can you say C.R.A.P.?

I'm trying not to cry about it (I'm super tired). Guess it will be a "church only" outfit to minimize the possibility of it getting dirty and needing frequent washings. Unless I want to attempt to machine stitch around every single leaf and bird, which I don't.

Sigh.

The best intentions ....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh.My.Goodness! That is completely adorable!! Love the ric-rac, and the birds (whole shirt actually) are gorgeous. Feel like making another for a small girl in GA? :)

I have had trouble with heat-n-bond myself, so I feel your pain, but what an adorable outfit!

Laurie said...

That is so cute! What a talented woman you are. I'm proud of you!

The Coxclan said...

Holy Smokes, that is so cute!!! I especially love the matching shirt, which you just created on your own. You are amazing.

Jess and Jason said...

That is ADORABLE!!! You are incredible.