I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Gettin' Crafty

I don't know if you've noticed, but Dana at MADE and Disney (yes, that's her real name) at Ruffles And Stuff have teamed together to come up with crafty ways to make gifts for Mother's Day. Or for any day. Mostly it's girly stuff that can be for anyone anytime, but since Mother's Day is coming up, it makes sense to offer us non-innovative people some help right now.

I saw this on Ruffles And Stuff yesterday:

Is that not the most lovely, adorable thing you ever saw? I'm going to make one in that ivory color, but I first wanted to try it with some color. My brother is getting married in May and I thought this would be a great accessory to wear to the wedding! If you click on the link above, it will take you to Disney's tutorial. It's very simple to make.

Which is why I messed with it.

Because I do not believe in doing anything the easy way.

Well, mostly I didn't like the idea of felt for the bracelet because that sounded hot and scratchy and I already live in the godforsaken desert and don't need help feeling hot and scratchy. I figured grosgrain ribbon would work just as well.

So, off to Michael's I went:

Cheap ribbon, cheap flowers, not-so-cheap glass beads ... and I already had the velcro.

I started with pulling the flowers apart:


Then suddenly, the bracelet was already made:

Actually, I forgot to keep taking photos once I started. I'll never be a good blogger/tutorial maker if I keep this up.

As you can hopefully see in the photos, I hand-stitched (yes, hot glue would be faster, but this is me remember) the flowers to the ribbon. Then I hand-stitched the beads in the center. Then I hand-stitched (are we sensing a theme here?) another ribbon over the first one to cover up the itchy stitches. Then I hand-stitched the velcro on the ends.

It's a little poufy. I probably could have got away with 6 flowers, but I got greedy and did 8. I still have a few flowers left, so I could either make a matching bracelet for Caralie or maybe some hair clips.... Not that I need another project. I have them coming out my ears.

This one was, in fact, a distraction or a "vacation" from a project I've been working on for over a week. My eyes were starting to cross and I figured I'd do a little something for myself. The other project will have to be shown later as it's a gift and you know how that goes.

Now leave me alone. I'm off to go eat some chocolate and potato chips because, you guessed it, I'm PMSing and need my fix.

I'm already shaky from withdrawals.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Excellent skills Chanelle. It looks like a lei bracelet. I'd like to motivate myself to making things and letting Keilana help.