
Gone are the days when she thought they were gross. Those were the days ...
We were out shopping today because I needed toothpaste and conditioner. I also wanted to get some new PJ's for Caralie since it's no longer cold enough for footie pajamas and all her warm weather jammies are now too small. Sadly, Caralie has passed from Toddler to Girl sizes, or in other words into the next clothing price bracket.
It's not just the prices that upset me, either. It's the clothes. Can someone please tell me why I am expected to dress my 5-year-old like a tart? We were safe as long as we stayed in the "T's" - 2T, 3T, 4T (as long as we didn't shop at Old Navy). Now that she has graduated from 5T, she is apparently supposed to dress like a teenager. Which means dressing like a mid-twenties twinkie since that is how teenagers dress these days.
You'd think the pajamas would at least be free from all this nonsense, but no. Everywhere it's High School Musical, Jonas Brothers, and Hannah Montana. What happened to pajamas with ballerinas and princesses? I had to search several stores for some non-'licensed character' pajamas that were also semi-affordable. They are like the elusive black rhino on the Serengeti - heard of but rarely seen.
And the final problem for us is the fit. My daughter is my daughter and is therefore tall and skinny. Size 5's are too short, but size 6's are too big in the waist. I now have to add 'adjustable-waist' to my list of requirements for clothing of the bottom half. I think we will be investing in a lot of sundresses this summer.
The only place I've found refuge from everything but price is Gymboree. If you can hit a sale or shop at their outlet, you can do pretty well. I know I can always find traditional children's clothing all the way up to size 12. What's killer is I had $50 worth of Gym-bucks but missed the sale while I was in Hawaii.

4 comments:
Giving away your ONLY cherry...that's definitely true love! And buying a whole jar of them just isn't the same! I'm lucky that Tyler still thinks cherries are yucky. I hope it stays that way!
I love her little nose crinkle.
Amen to the nose crinkle.
I'll be the ultimate mother, completely self-sacrificing, willingly relinquishing my cherry topper to my child.
It probably helps that I dislike cherries. But that's a moot point.
I hear you on the whole clothing issue, wait till you have to find her a modest swimsuit! Try Childrens place in the mall, their clothes are cute and definetly made for children. We also get coupons all the time if you sign up for their mailing list, good luck!
Post a Comment