I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Two Down, a Million More to Go...

I made Caralie's Tooth Fairy pillow on Tuesday night:

Here's a close-up:

There is a little fairy and a pocket for the tooth/money. It needs a little embellishment - Caralie and I are still debating what we are going to do. Maybe some turquoise glitter swirlies or something....

The back is envelope style:

I actually made my own pillow insert. Ugh. And Caralie says it's too firm. Whatever.

At least that tooth has a home when it finally falls out. It's getting looser by the day.

Yesterday I hunkered down for SEVEN HOURS and finally finished a dress that I started, oh, about 8 YEARS AGO:

All I had completed prior to yesterday was the empire-waisted bodice top. I had to add sleeves, buttons and button holes, an extension to the top to make it hit my natural waist, a side zipper, the skirt, and a sash.

Whew.

But I got it done!!!!

It's now like a 60's shirt dress. Originally it was going to be an empire-wasted, long-skirted, gathered thing. Instead I converted it into something that's a little more "hip" today. I used three different patterns and kind of made up most of it. Trying to match the plaid tested my patience.

I guess watching several seasons of Project Runway inspired me to just go for it. That, and all the sewing/craft blogs out there. However, the craftsmanship leaves a little to be desired - hence no close-up shots.

It's been a long time since I've sewn this type of garment. The side zipper is an ugly thing because I couldn't remember how to use my zipper foot properly and Youtube didn't have any truly helpful tutorials that I could find. It was good for helping me remember how to sew a buttonhole. Caralie watched the video with me and then assisted me by turning the dial for each stage. She is interested in learning how to sew. In fact, I saw on the bulletin board at school that she had written, "When I grow up I want to be a dasiner," or, designer. She likes Project Runway, too. But I only let her watch the episodes I've seen before and deem appropriate since so many of them have bleeps out the wazoo.

Anyway.

I guess with the theme of this post that this is as good a time as any to make the announcement:

I am opening my own Esty shop!


I've been sewing my brains out, preparing for this. The shop is up and running but I haven't added any merchandise yet. I will let you know (believe me, I will let you know) when I've uploaded stuff to sell.

Right now the plan is baby bibs, baby quilts, quilted totes, and cute bags. Plus I'm thinking of making cute scripture totes and other stuff, but I'm taking baby steps right now.

So, when I officially open, please take a look. Even if there isn't anything for you, please pass on my info to anyone else you know that may be interested. I'm sure I'm going to need all the help I can get.

I'm also planning a separate craft/sewing/quilting blog. Chad is designing it for me (he did my banner - isn't it awesome?) and when that's ready, I'll start putting all my crafty posts on there and this will become exclusively my family and friends blog.

That makes 3 blogs for me. Sheesh. I think my head may be getting fat....

Well, this post is long enough. I'm signing off now.

Wish me luck!



6 comments:

The Muries said...

That is awesome! I think your stuff is so cute so you should do well. I just realized while reading this post that I have NO girl bibs. lol the things I think of. Not like they are high demand yet but sheesh. Oh and I think your dress and pillow turned out great.

Dave & Heather said...

Now you have something to wear with those shoes!!

Laurie said...

Cute pillow and I love the dress!

Dave & Heather said...

Can Caleb's stocking be on the to-do list??? =)

Wendy said...

Amazing stuff Chanelle!
I can't wait to shop in your Etsy store. I'm sure there will be a bag with my name on it! :)

Vic and Marion said...

Yeah!! I love seeing your projects! You are so talented!