After eating her cereal this morning, Caralie complained that her tooth hurt. I took a look in her mouth and was shocked to discover that her two adult front bottom teeth had erupted behind her baby teeth and one of those baby teeth was loose! When I broke the news to Caralie she was quiet for a moment. Then I started to see her eyes tear up. She was nervous and scared.I asked her if she was afraid that it would hurt when it came out and she said yes. I told her it would only hurt for a tiny little bit and then it would be over and she would have a tooth for the tooth fairy. That didn't comfort her much, so I asked her about the kids in her kindergarten class that had lost teeth. She has a friend who has already lost three! I asked her if those kids were alive and well or if they had died from the pain of losing a tooth. That got her to laugh a little. She asked if she could tell her swim teacher and I said yes. She perked up.
Now, a couple of hours later she's devastated to learn that it could take up to a week or more for this tooth to fall out. She's practically glowing with the realization that she really is a big girl now. Questions are flying at me right and left.
"Will my mouth get bigger for all my big teeth?"
"Why does it take so long for the tooth to come out?"
"Do you think my sandwich is good for my tooth?"
In all honesty, I'm surprised that I'm so calm about this. I usually get all dramatic and emotional about these kinds of milestones, but for some reason I'm cool as a cucumber. Perhaps I'm running on empty after freaking out over Caralie graduating from Kindergarten. Who knows?
So, I'm guessing I have about a week to create a cute little tooth fairy pillow with a special pocket for the tooth. Luckily I have a fat quarter of some pink fairy fabric. I had earmarked it for something else, but it has found it's true calling now.
Now I can just freak out about the future orthodontia.
3 comments:
Jordyn has lost 4 teeth (pictures are on my blog), and is alive and well. Maybe they can compare notes at the next family party.
So crazy the number of milestones for a 5-6 year old...start Kindergarten, end Kindergarten, lose teeth...I'm so not ready!
I can't wait to see Caralie's surprise from the tooth fairy though!
When you are ready to take the teeth out make her honey taffy and let her chew on it.
Post a Comment