I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Blahs

What is it about summer that makes me want to take a nap all day? I accomplish so little. And it's not like I have a lot going on, but I can barely keep up with the laundry and dishes.

Is it because my kid is home all day demanding constant attention? Is it being asked for the fifteenth time to come check out "a really cool thing" on Lego Star Wars? Or saying no for the fortieth time when she asks if we can get in the pool? Because getting in the pool involves at least 12 steps, including, but not limited to stripping down in the shower and getting sprayed with sunscreen, putting hair in ponytails, finding a clean towel, finding the must-have goggles, et cetera, and all those steps require energy that I just don't have right now?

Or maybe it's the heat. We're in the heart of the desert. It's never under 100 degrees these days. Yes, it's dry, but that doesn't matter once you're over 105. Or if there's no breeze. I just become a slug between June and October (because, you know, it stays super hot that frickin long here). And there's no relief unless you want to drive a couple hours north to the high desert. And even then it's still pretty brown and uninspiring.

I'm a little sad that Caralie's childhood summers involve so much time indoors. She won't be catching fireflies or rolling around in the cool grass. We've had a bunch of play dates, but I wish they could involve climbing trees or blowing dandelions. Am I just being overly nostalgic? Do such summer activities still exist?

Ugh. I need to get over myself and just plug on. I find that, for me, creating stuff/sewing/cooking is therapeutic. That and listening to music on the iPod my sister gave me for my birthday. I forgot how soothing it is to listen to music. I think I need to make Jack Johnson my summer theme music. I mean, can you really feel the blahs when you're listening to Jack Johnson?

This post is getting weird. It might have something to do with the fact that it is 1:30 in the morning and I'm listening to Poker Face.

Yeah.

So, anyway, these photos are a sunset from Monday night. This is a rare thing - usually there are no clouds for pretty sunsets in the summer. I keep looking at it, trying to remember to appreciate the good things that occasionally pop up. It's not all bad.


Okay, seriously done venting. Never post in the middle of the night!

(And just so you know, I do let Caralie get in the pool at least twice a week. I'm not that mean.)

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

That's a beautiful sunset, and I love the cactus sillohuete! It is a good thing to remind ourselves there is beauty all around no matter where we are. I guess you just have to look a little harder in some places more than others.

I have to concur with you about the childhood nostalgia--my kids were out catching lightening bugs for over an hour with barefeet last night. They haven't gotten to the point of climbing trees, and will occassionally roll around in the grass as they "play fight". Nonetheless, I loved watching them run around trying to catch the fireflys with their little hands as I would point one out to them. I relished seeing the excitement their little faces displayd as they lit up with joy when they would see one, chase it around the yard and upon victory of capturing the poor thing, gently place it in their bug container.

Come visit GA in the summer when time and finances permit and Caralie's experiences will be that much more memorable of these childhood memories you have.