I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Friday, February 26, 2010

Science Experiment...Sort Of

A couple of months back I had a couple of potatoes go all sprouty on me and I decided to do something we did as kids: grow a potato plant.

I remembered a couple of things:
  • Putting the potato in a mason jar
  • with water
  • and toothpicks inserted to keep it from falling in
What I couldn't remember was whether or not we cut the potato in half or just put the whole thing in. I could've called my mom or Googled it but I didn't. I just cut the thing in half and hoped for the best.

And guess what happened?

It grew roots


and a giant vine/stalk


with these cute little pink flowers!

All I remember from the potato plants from childhood were vines and leaves, no flowers. But maybe it was a different kind of potato.

And maybe if I hadn't cut it in half it would have grown differently? Who knows at this point.

All that matters is that it grew and got my 6-year-old really excited.

For 5 minutes.

1 comment:

Carlia said...

that's awesome. we are totally going to do that! thanks for the great science experimenty idea!