The last Sunday I was in Georgia, my mom asked me to try on my late grandmother's wedding dress. My Tutu passed away in January of this year and it has been a difficult thing for me and my family. I was very hesitant at first to try on the dress. It was made in 1945 and has yellowed significantly with age. I worried that I would be too big since I'm about 2-3 inches taller than my Tutu ever was, but eventually curiosity won out. Here are the photos:




The photos don't really do the dress justice. It is quite lovely and I can imagine how beautiful it looked when it was new and white. My mom and I are pretty sure that my grandmother's grandmother helped her make it since she was a popular seamstress. The headpiece to the veil looks strange now, but when you see it paired with a 40's hairdo, it looks perfect:

Jean and Jens Jacobsen, 1945.
I'm glad I decided to try on the dress. It was a very special experience that I will always remember. Love you, Tutu!
2 comments:
Wow...very cool experience! Even though it's yellowed, it has held up very well to be that old!
you look good in anything!
Post a Comment