I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Making the Gift

What do you get for a kindergarten teacher who loves frogs?

Uh....

A frog?

Yes!

I was going crazy trying to think of something creative to get/make for Mrs. Haynie and happened upon this pattern while shopping for some fat quarters:

The quilt store had one of the frogs already made up and it was so cute that I knew it would be the perfect gift. I snatched up the pattern (it was the last one - totally meant to be!) and started hunting for fabric. I miraculously found some green prints with letters and numbers (I'm telling you, there was a higher power working here). I brought them home and made them into this:

It looks more involved than it was. I strip pieced it and it came together in about an hour. I then quilted it with some batting and a green fat quarter. The next step was to cut out the top of the frog body:

Then I cut out the bottom with another fabric and stitched him together. He was stuffed with Poly Pellets and has button eyes:


Then I figured he needed a lily pad to sit on, so I made up a pattern after looking at photos of lily pads online. One side is numbers:

And the other side is a lily floral that I had left from making a bag for my sis-in-law, Casi:

He is very camouflage-y on the numbers:
I like him best with the floral:

Caralie was very happy with the frog:

They were instant friends:

I had her make a card for Mrs. Haynie and one for Mrs. Delucia, the aide:

Here is Mrs. Haynie's card:

On the inside we glued a photo and Caralie wrote a sweet note:

Here is the card for Mrs. Delucia:

And we gave them both some See's chocolates:

And Mrs. Haynie also got this little guy:
He's a pencil sharpener I happened across while shopping one day.

Mrs. Haynie was very happy with her gifts. We are going to miss her very much!

No comments: