I am torn.
I am happy that Caralie enjoyed such a successful, enjoyable year. I am happy that she has accomplished and learned so much and has become quite a smartie.
I am sad that this chapter is already over (much too fast). I am sad that she is "losing" a great teacher:
This teacher has been such a bright spot in our lives, it's hard to let her go. She is thoughtful, energetic, insightful, dedicated, creative, loving, intelligent, and ... geez, I could go on and on.
She is a hearty advocate of bringing real-life learning into the classroom. Her heart belongs to science. The class has done everything from sprouting beans:

To growing radishes:

And hatching lady bugs:

They've also had two ant farms, have hatched a couple hundred praying mantis babies, and attempted to grow some tadpoles, but the tadpoles didn't have it in them to go on. Fickle little creatures. But Caralie still learned about their life cycle through teaching tools on the computer:

The latest adventure involved hatching chicks. Mrs. Haynie incubated (in the classroom) 24 eggs and, I think, 7 of them hatched. There's Henrietta, Brenna, T-Rex, Billy Bob Joe, Black Foot, Sunshine, and Fudgy. At least those are the names I remember.
The day before the chicks were sent back to "the farm," Caralie got to hold one of them. I think this is T-Rex. Or maybe Billy Bob Joe:

One of them was born with a bum leg. Her name is Sunshine. The class got to watch her grow in strength and eventually she was able to walk, although with a limp. Her leg still sticks out at an odd angle, but she's a fighter.
Another classroom also donated some snails for the kids to observe:

And, undaunted by the tadpole situation, Mrs. Haynie invested in some fire-bellied toads:

Their tummies are bright orange. And they are TOADS not FROGS, as Caralie has corrected me several times. There IS a difference!
So, this year Caralie has not only learned how to read, write, and do math (and very well, I might add), she has also amassed a greater knowledge of the animal kingdom. First hand. Didn't I say she had the most amazing teacher? Do any of you remember having such a plethora of learning experiences in kindergarten? All I remember about kindergarten is the following:
- A boy named Kurt chased me on the playground. I did not like him very much.
- A little girl colored her elephant purple and I thought she was an idiot because elephants are grey.
- I peed my pants once because some giant first graders were stalking the bathroom and I was too nervous to go in.
My big kid is super-prepared to enter first grade. I, on the other hand, am not. But I will put on a brave face so she will be free to be excited about this new chapter in her life. Now she will be a first grader like her favorite literary heroine: Junie B. Jones.




2 comments:
Congrats to the graduate. Life just keeps on trucking along. Us Moms are here for the ride, aren't we Chanelle!
Awww, what a sad and happy day! It's crazy how both can be all rolled up into one!
I'm glad she had such a great year with such an amazing teacher. It really does make all the difference.
Congrats on having such a smartie pants! :)
Post a Comment