shoo = shoe
seenc = sink
biscl = bicycle
sammich = sandwich
nrs = nurse
trtl = turtle
octpoos = octopus
ladee bug = lady bug
rocit = rocket
macs = mask
Today I volunteered in the classroom, helping the kids with reading. Mrs. Haynie sends each kid home with a little book to practice reading. They are not to bring it back to school until:
- they can read it fluently (no sounding out the words)
- the parents have signed the reading sheet acknowledging that their child can read it fluently
Today I couldn't take it anymore. When she came to my table and "read" her book - sounding out each and every word - I decided I'd had enough. So, instead of telling her to take the book back home and try again, I read the book over and over with her until she began to be fluent. Then I passed her off and gave her a new book. Keep in mind, I really don't have the time to do this in the time I am allotted. In fact, I wasn't able to get to the last kid because I took so much time with her. But SOMEBODY had to do it! This poor kid needed a positive experience with reading.
Now she understands what she needs to do to read her book fluently. I'm praying that our little session made an impact and that with or without her
I really, really hope.
2 comments:
Some parents amaze me. I worked a a tutor 1 quarter when I was in college. My assignment was to work with a little boy to improve his skills in addition & subtraction, and we were making progress. One day his mother called me and said that he couldn't do math and if I kept trying to make him do it she was going to pull him out of tutoring. 3rd grade and his mother already had him doomedto fail math for life.
Go Caralie for being such an awesome phonetic speller! :)
Post a Comment