I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thankful Thursday

I'm posting this retroactively because I was out of town last Thursday and this Thursday I got sidetracked, but I wanted to truly keep a tradition of Thankful Thursday.

I recently had the opportunity to go to Washington, D.C., to see my brother accept an award from the Attorney General. My brother works for the Department of Justice and to receive an award like this is a great honor.

This Thankful Thursday I am thankful for the men and women of the Justice Department that are working so hard to keep us safe and free. As the announcer gave a small synopsis of why each award was designated to it's recipients I was surprised by how much goes on without my knowledge. There were teams that thwarted terrorist attacks, rounded up Russian spies, and prosecuted gang lords and drug cartels. I'm sure some of this ends up in the news, but so much of it is relatively unknown.

It's so easy to complain about our government and it's failings, but I tell you what: the Department of Justice is doing a great job! My brother's team was responsible for identifying and apprehending the idiot that tried to bomb Times Square. I'm grateful that they did their jobs and did them well.

Hey Nick. Thanks dude.

Two U.S. Marshals lost their lives while executing arrest warrants for violent criminals. Their mothers were there to accept an award on their behalf and I teared up as the entire audience gave them a standing ovation. I don't often think about the risk these amazing men and women take every time they show up for work.

You can read more about these great people in an informational article here. It describes each award and what the individuals or teams did to earn it. My brother is with the team that was given the Attorney General's Distinguished Service Award.

And these are just a small fraction of the people that are working hard to keep us and our country (and our money!) safe.

Thanks guys.

No comments: