I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thankful Thursday

This little doll is Lucy. She's the twin daughter of my cousin Charles and his wife Eliza. She has an older brother named Jack and her twin sister is Hazel. Lucy has spent most of her short life in the hospital. She was born with a congenital heart defect that doctors have been trying to repair. Tonight little Lucy passed away after having fought a good fight.

She is the inspiration for something I'm going to institute starting today. Thankful Thursday. I'm very good at whining and complaining about things but I want people to know that even though I seem like the glass-half-empty type, I do have positive feelings and thoughts from time to time.

This time in particular, I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am thankful for the knowledge that it gives me. I know that Lucy will be reunited with her family again and they can be together forever. This gives me comfort. This does not "fix" the grief and pain of her family, but it gives them a light in the darkness and hope for the future.

I am thankful for the health and strength that my child has been blessed with. I am grateful that I can hold her hand and give her kisses.

I am thankful for family and friends that pulled together and fasted and prayed for this little family during their greatest trial. I know many times those prayers were answered.

I am thankful that even though she was only with us for a short time, Lucy had the opportunity to teach us about gratitude and grace in adversity. She was one tough cookie and put up with a lot. Now she is at peace and we are left to make of her situation what we will. I choose to learn from her and improve my perspective on life.

Thank you, Lucy. You are much loved and will not be forgotten.

3 comments:

Carlia said...

beautiful post Chanelle! life has a way of shaking us up and helping us to remember what matters most. i am thankful for the gospel too. it's good to know that this life is not all there is...thank goodness!!!!!

Marissa Marie said...

Aw, I can't imagine losing a little one! Yes, each child is precious, and health is a major blessing!

The Muries said...

Oh Chanelle I am so sorry for your families loss. Yesterday just happened to be my oldest brothers birthday, and I spent time thinking about how I need to be better (as I am sure you know) so that we will all be able to be together again. Life sure is hard at times. I hope that your family will have the love and peace the gospel brings.
BTW Thankful Thursdays are a good idea for all of us. Thanks for the reminder.