Monday, November 8, 2010
They're Here!
I received a call from my sister, Heather, around 12:30 am my time. I was just about to go to bed when the phone rang and I immediately shouted, "What idiot is calling me at this hour?!" Sorry, Heather! She announced that the babies had been born and it took her a few minutes to convince me that it really had happened and that she was not hallucinating on Ambien (they are only 29 weeks!). Here's the story (edited for content, ha ha):
Heather had been in the hospital on bed rest for about 2 1/2 weeks when she was finally released last Monday (?) She stayed at my parent's house for the week so my mom could help her (she was to continue strict bed rest) and then packed up and returned to her own home for the weekend.
She and my brother-in-law decided to have a "date night" last night staying in and watching movies (you can't do much else on bed rest), so my brother-in-law took Caleb to my parents for the night.
Late that night (early this morning), Heather wasn't feeling so hot so she took a bath. She got out, relieved herself (is that delicate enough?) and suddenly felt a cramp in her side and pressure. Surprise! It was a baby coming out! Her water broke just before Miss Avery Ruth entered the world.
Dave called 911 and the paramedics came right over. Avery was rushed to the NICU and then the paramedics (I'm guessing this is because there are a lot of stairs at Heather's house) wrapped Heather in a tarp and carried her to the ambulance. There was no support for her head, so Heather had to hold her head up while experiencing labor pains, demanding drugs, and trying not to push.
Once they arrived at the hospital, Heather was wheeled in on a stretcher. The NICU team and the OB had been notified and were on their way down to meet her. However, as Heather and the paramedics were waiting at the elevator doors, Miss Addison Lucille decided to make her entrance, a la breach position! Apparently she likes an audience since there was a least one lookie-loo in the hallway. She was a little blue and bruised and was rushed to the NICU to join her sister.
They both weighed in at 3 lbs. 4 oz. and 15 1/2 inches long. They do not appear to be identical, but it's a little early to tell. Neither one needed to be intubated, thankfully. They are both on a CPAP machine that regulates the air flow into their lungs. Avery is doing very well and may even get to be held by her mommy tomorrow. Addison appears to be a drama queen (takes after her Auntie Chanelle) and is struggling a bit with her breathing. Both babies could use your prayers.
Last I heard, the nurses are hopeful that the little bugs will be ready to go home for Christmas, but it's still too early to tell. Heather expects to be released from the hospital on Wednesday - just in time for her shower on Saturday!
So, I guess it's a good thing I finished their quilts last night. I sent them in the mail today. I'll post photos of them after Heather's shower.
Caralie is excited to finally have some girl cousins. As a funny sidenote: yesterday Caralie told me she wanted to fast for someone. I told her we usually start a fast with a prayer, so she disappeared into her room for a few minutes to say a prayer. When she came out I asked her who she wanted to fast for. "Auntie Heather. I'm fasting that she won't have to be on bed rest very much longer!" Her fast lasted all of 45 minutes, but appears to have been very effective...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
OH MY! Delivering 2 babies with no drugs.... first one doesn't sound too bad, but then #2 still there! How scary for them and thankfully they didn't have the other little one to worry about!They look GREAT! My twins were 34wks2d and they both were on ventilators- Sarah on an oscillator for 2 days and they were 4lbs14oz and 5lbs3oz! So these peanuts are rocking! Keep us posted and we'll keep them in our prayers : )
Prayers for them!! I'm assuming my bro was not one of the paramedics or he probably would have recognized Heather. If she wants he can find out who the brillant paramedic was that made her hold her head up and not have it supported;( I am so happy to hear the girls are doing well....I can't imagine having such tiny ones....what blessings for Heather and Dave in growing their family! Congratulations!!
Oh my goodness! What an entrance those sweet little girls made. We're praying for them. Love their names. We love you!
I'm glad your sister had her babies after me because this story may have scared me to death! I hope heather is ok and able to hold those cuties soon.
That sounds scary, so glad things went well. My boys were 29.5 weeks, they were in the NICU for 7 weeks...so Christmas is definitely a possibility! Plus everyone says girls do so much better coming early.
Why did she get out of prison/I mean the hospital? Did they have her on a magnesium I.V.? Once they put me on that I was stuck there for life, or until the babies came...so for 26 days...
Tell her I wish her luck and I know it's hard to leave your babies every day but the NICU works hard to take care of the little ones!
Caralie is such a sweet little girl! What a wonderful example she will be to her little bitty cousins. Congratulations to Heather and her husband.
Post a Comment