I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Monday, January 4, 2010

What I'm Doing This Year

I decided that instead of a bunch of New Year's Resolutions that I would forget in a month anyway, that this year I would simply improve my mind by reading. There are so many classic books/novels out there that I still haven't read! Last fall I re-read The Secret Garden and that got me to thinking of all the other great books out there.

So, I started with The Hobbit two days ago and finished it last night and I am now starting The Lord of the Rings. That should take some time since there are three volumes.

Here's my preliminary list, too be added to of course. I haven't thought of all the books I want to read!

Little Women
Anne of Green Gables, etc.
Huckleberry Finn
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Les Miserables
The Chronicles of Narnia (I haven't read them all)

... now I'm having a brain fart and can't think of all the others I thought of before ...

So, if you read this, please post a comment with YOUR suggested reading. You'll help me remember the ones I've forgot and probably remind me of others I hadn't thought of.

Anyone want to join me in this (hopefully) brain-improving endeavor?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got started reading some books on a list I found somewhere. But then I got two duds, and I'm not feeling the love from that list anymore! I think I will go back to some happy novels! :) Twilight, anyone? Okay, it won't improve your brain, but at least it is enjoyable! :)

Unknown said...

I would add Pollyanna and Jo's Boys. My readng goal is to catch up with the mountain of LDS Fiction that I still have to read, although some of the books on your list bring back good memories.

Dave & Heather said...

Miss Piggle Wiggle? Amelia Bedelia? Beverly Cleary?

Or there's always Catcher in the Rye, Brave New World, Call of the Wild, Gone With the Wind, Great Gatsby, Grapes of Wrath, Jane Eyre, Moby Dick, Pride and Prejudice, Scarlet Pimpernel, To Kill A Mockingbird, Wuthering Heights.

That's all I can think of for now. That should last you a while though, right?

Wendy said...

There's some good ones on that list! I really enjoy British literture, so some other good ones I like in that catergory are Beowolf, Gulliver's Travels, and The Caterbury Tales.
I wish I could comit to reading with you, but I'd be disappointingly slow getting through them. ha!
Maybe I could attempt some of them. Keep us updating on what you're reading.

The Tall Girl Cooks said...

Thanks for the suggestions. Many of them I have read already, but that doesn't mean I won't read them again! Wendy, I like Brit Lit, too. I really enjoyed Beowulf and Gulliver's Travels. I haven't read all of the Canterbury Tales, so there is a start!

I'm excited now!