I got my background at ZingerBug.com

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Back to School ... Already?!

Today is July 27th and Caralie started second grade!

First: July 27th is waaaaaay too early to start the school year. It's sick and wrong.

Second: I can't be old enough to have a second grader!!!!!

When did this happen? Where did my baby, toddler, preschooler, kindergartner, first grader go?

She got all growed up, is what she did. Not. Allowed.

This morning did not go as planned. My alarm didn't go off (it was set for 4 pm?!?) and Caralie didn't wake me until 7:17 am. We leave for the bus stop at 7:30. So that gave us 13 minutes to pee, get dressed, fix hair, brush teeth and slather a little butter on a piece of bread for breakfast. Waaah! Luckily I did have the presence of mind to get a couple of photos. I even took my camera to the bus stop and got some decent pictures of my little pipsqueak before she boarded the bus and flew out of the nest.

Sorry, for the dramatics. I'm a little ... hysterical nostalgic today.

At least I feel good about her new teacher, Mrs. Goodman. I've heard nothing but positive things about her. All the mothers I've talked to sing her praises and speak of her in worshipful tones. Even though she's about the size of a fifth grader:

She is lovely inside and out. And has six - SIX!! - kids of her own. We met her on Monday at Meet the Teacher night. She is exactly what Caralie needs right now. I'm in love with her already.

And to help wring out the night-before jitters, I took Caralie to Chick-fil-a last night. Every Tuesday evening they host Family Night. There's a woman who does face painting and balloon animals, the Chick-fil-a cow comes to visit and joke around (and steal my fries), and I even saw free Ice Dream cones being passed out!

Caralie got butterflies on her arm (and, I guess, out of her stomach?) and a pink and purple balloon butterfly:

Then she got to play on the playground and wear herself out before going home and getting a bath. Although, the hallowed butterfly arm was NOT allowed to get wet because it had to be shown off at school the next day.

I hardly slept a wink last night. I'm such a boob. And considering our expedited routine this morning, I was a little mangy at the bus stop. But I gave my daughter hugs and kisses and tried to start her day on the right foot. Now I need to go drown my sorrows in a hot shower and decide what cookie recipe to make this afternoon. I can't decide if I want them ready when she gets home or to wait for her to help. I guess we'll just see how it goes.

1 comment:

Carlia said...

i hope you made it through the day! I'm so glad to see you are blogging again. i miss your humorous rhetoric! p.s. we all need to get together again...maybe on a regular basis?!