After lamely trying to think up a little project that she could handle, I gave up and bought a kit at Joann. It involves sewing two pre-hole-punched pieces of felt together with a plastic needle and yarn. The kit included a butterfly and a flower. And when she's done she can glue embellishments on.
Turns out, this was the perfect thing for her. She made the butterfly the other day:
I had to help her quite a bit at the beginning but she caught on pretty quick. And she was so proud of herself after she finished:
And look, it's even tame:
I forgot to take a photo of it after she glued on sequins and stuff. I'll have to remember to do that. Today she made the flower with very little help from me.
I'm excited, but now what do I do? She's asked me to show her how to use the sewing machine, but I'm not sure she's ready for that. My mind is a complete blank (big surprise). I'm all creativity-ed out right now after making my own patterns for stuff in my soon-to-be-stocked-most-likely-tomorrow-or-Saturday Esty shop. I'm pooped. Do you guys have any suggestions for easy sewing projects that a 6 year-old with fairly decent motor skills can do? I'm too tired to search the web right now. I'm being lazy and hoping you will enable me.
Please.
Enable me!

5 comments:
Sorry Chanelle, sewing is not my forte'! I'd have an even lamer idea like those lace-up cards or something. haha
I love her little butterfly though. So cute!
How about a pillow case? It is just straight stitching all the way. Napkins or dish towels? That's fun that she wants to learn to sew. Have a happy day!
I think you could try counted cross-stitch. I was OBSESSED with that for a few years around her age. When it's counted it's much simpler. You can buy really simple patterns/kits (I remember doing a really easy butterfly in the beginning) and I think they even have not just regular counted fabric (with obvious holes so you know where to put the needle) but the same fabric with bigger... I dunno what to call them, spaces? so it's more for kids. I think. But I think just regular counted cross stitch could work. She's a bright kid. And if you mess up, it's not hard to undo. And in 6th grade in home-ec I did a little counted cross stitch frog on a square piece of fabric, and then we got 8 pieces of fabric in the same size squares and made a 3x3 patchwork of it, and then put a piece of fabric on the back to make a pillow. (didn't you make one too?) So she could make something cross stitch, then you can make a pillow or something out of it (or she can help if you let her run something straight under the needle)? I dunno. It's pretty cheap if I remember. You just need a needle, embroidery floss (which goes a long way because you use just 2 little threads out of the cluster at a time), the round thingy to hold the fabric taught, and a pattern (which you can probably find online nowadays).
Actually, I think they have some where the picture is printed on the fabric, and then you just stitch the color on the part of fabric with that color, if that makes sense. I think that's easiest, and she can gradually be introduced to a pattern when she gets more comfortable with it.
Or there's plastic canvas. You could try that first, with yarn.
Post a Comment